This programme is designed to provide an effective and well-balanced industry IT knowledge and skills for those seeking career in this fast growing field. It aims to develop graduates to obtain a combination of disciplines in Information Technology, software Engineering, Computer programming and Computer Engineering.
- WHY STUDY HND ICT AT DOMINION UNIVERSITY?
Our HND programme nurtures the student to trim their studies to support his/her career ambitions. It also equips the student with contemporary techniques; knowledge and skills to enable them work effectively and efficiently.
This programme prepares our students to master their competencies and they are taught by experts in the field in a well resourced lecture halls and laboratories
- COURSE HIGHLIGHTS
The programme is ensures that, at the end of the 3-year duration of study, students will;
- Identify and apply appropriate theory, tools and techniques used in the computing industry.
- Demonstrate mastery of the essentials, facts, concepts, principles, theories and practices enabling graduate employment in application of Information Technology.
- Demonstrate a range of transferrable skills in problem solving, communication, project management, working individually and in teams, self-management, evaluate and reflect on information from relevant sources and synthesizes new knowledge and solutions to requirements in the domain of applications of information technology.
- Possess all requisite requirements to further academics in the field of Information Technology.
- COURSE CONTENT
Our HND ICT comprises of the following courses throughout the duration of the programme. Check this on the Curriculum Tab
- Method of delivery
Our students will learn through classroom lectures, seminars, presentations, assignments, class work, group case study, project research work and E-learning platforms. Students may obtain additional knowledge through personal reading of textbooks and or online reading.
- Credit Requirement
HND ICT at Dominion University is a three (3) year duration programme, which requires a minimum of 113 credits over the six (6) semesters to graduate.
- Admission Requirement
Our learning community is flexile with our admissions approach and we accept applications from individuals with a wide range of qualifications. We also welcome mature applicants with no or less formal qualifications. Our admission requirements are categorized to include;
- West African Examinations Council (WAEC) Examinations
These are the standard nationally recognized examinations for academic progression into tertiary educational institutions in Ghana.
- Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE)
Compulsory Subjects – Grade D or better in three (3) core subjects, including English, Mathematics (Core) and Social Studies or Integrated Science and three Elective Subjects including Elective Mathematics with a minimum of Grade D.
- West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE)
Compulsory Subjects – Grade C6 or better in three (3) core subjects, including English, Mathematics (Core) and Social Studies or Integrated Science and three Elective Subjects including Elective Mathematics with a minimum of Grade C6.
iii. General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level
Passes in three (3) subjects (at least, one of the passes should be Grade D or better). Also, the applicant must have had credit passes (Grade 6) in five GCE Ordinary Level subjects including English, Mathematics and a Science subject (for non-science students) and an Arts subject for Science students.
- Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE)
Passes in three (3) subjects (at least, one of the passes should be Grade D or better). Also, the applicant must have credit passes in five (5) subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science or Social Studies in General Business Examination (GBCE).
- Mature Students’ Entry
The mature students’ entry requires applicants to;
- i be at least 25 years old;
- ii show proof of age with birth certificate
- iii provide introductory letter from employer or show any other proof of employment;
- iv pass the Mature Students’ Entrance Examinations conducted by the Dominion University. The examination covers English Language, Mathematics and an Aptitude Test. In lieu of this examination, the applicant should have proof of credit passes in English and Mathematics in any of the nationally recognized examinations (WAEC Examinations).
- Foreign Qualifications
All foreign qualifications are referred to the National Accreditation Board (NAB) for determination of equivalences and eligibility for admission to tertiary institutions in Ghana (National Accreditation Board Act, 2007 [Act 744 (2(2b)]).
Note: American SAT, TOEFL etc cannot in themselves be accepted as entry qualifications into a Ghanaian tertiary institutions.
Higher National Diploma (HND) Qualifications
An HND holder applicant must have at least have a second-class (Lower Division) certificate to qualify to enrol of this programme. He/she must have at least 2 years post HND working experience. Other Diploma qualifications with equivalence of HND may be considered.
NB: Dominion University’s entry qualifications for HND are requirements, which follows the requirement of its Mentoring University.
- Professional and Other Entry Qualifications
Entry into the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with professional certificates and any other qualifications beyond the ones specified above are treated on individual cases, where such certificates are referred to the National Accreditation Board for the establishment of their equivalences, to determine their eligibility for admission into the programme.
- Students are assessed through Interim Assessments, end of semester examinations and classwork. They are also assessed through practical work, which includes problem solving, analytical work etc. They are also assessed through individual project work, presentations and group project reports. Students will also receive regular feedback on their coursework and exams. A written feedback will be given to students with respect to draft on their coursework, seminars, workshops, and project works.
DEAN OF SCOPE – DR BISMARK OKYERE
- Duration 3 Years
- Study Option Full/Part-time | Weekend
- Award HND
- Campus Main Campus
- Program Code ICT