BA Pastoral Care & Counselling
The Bachelor of Arts in Pastoral Care and Counselling equips you with the requisite knowledge and skills to provide counselling in a range of faith-based and secular institutions such as the educational, healthcare, aged care, hospital, corrective services, welfare, university, military, emergency services and industry/corporate settings.
A degree in Pastoral Care & Counselling offers you the choice of a clinical specialisation or a research stream. You’ll study the latest theories and practices in counselling, integrated within a theological framework, and build your research skills by conducting a research project in an area of special interest. At the end of your 4-year programme, you will
The following objectives are to be met by students obtaining a degree in Pastoral Care and Counselling. Students upon graduation will:
- Demonstrate competence in the latest theories and practices in counselling, integrated within a theological framework.
- Be poised to use the many tools of traditional psychotherapy and counselling methods, and the additional resources available within faith-based communities to provide solutions where needed.
- Work in a variety of institutional, congregational or educational roles in which formal counselling or working with mental health is a central part including private practice counsellor, clinical counsellor, organisational staff counsellor, pastoral counsellor, registered counsellor, hospital chaplain, military chaplain, school chaplain, aged care chaplain and pastoral care coordinator.
- Be prepared to undertake a Higher Degree by research.
The course is targeted at providing these six goals: Enlivening the mind, revitalizing the body, deepening of the individual’s relationship with nature and surroundings, personal growth within the chosen social systems, family and career, and deepening relationship with God. Students will develop an in-depth appreciation of the foundations of Pastoral Care and Counseling. From your third year, you will build your research skills by conducting a research project in an area of special interest. The courses are designed in a way that, each year offers an opportunity for students to take up more practical experience. These are the courses taught at different levels.
- Spiritual Formation
- Introduction to Pentecostalism
- English for Academic Purposes
- French for Communication
- Personal Finance
- Logic and Critical Thinking
- Church Administration
- Philosophy of Religion
- Systematic Theology
- Church History
- Old Testament Hebrew
- Sociology of Religion
- Introduction to New Testament
- Pastoral Care and Counselling
- Biblical Foundation of Counselling
- Professional Counselling Skills
- Personality Development
- Psychology of Religions
- Biblical Philosophy of Leadership
- New Testament Greek
- Cultural Anthropology and Missions
- Cross-Cultural Counseling
- Marriage and Family Counseling
- Issues in Pastoral Care and Crisis Counseling
- Contemporary Issues in Ethics
- Pentecostal Spirituality
- Project Work
At Dominion University, a flexible approach has been adopted for our admissions and we accept applications from individuals with a wide range of qualifications. We also welcome mature applicants with no or less formal qualifications. Our admission requirements are categorized to include;
- Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) Compulsory Subjects – Grade D or better in three (3) core subjects, including English, Mathematics (Core) and Social Studies or Integrated Science and three Elective Subjects including Elective Mathematics with a minimum of Grade D.
- West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination(WASSCE) Compulsory Subjects – Grade C6 or better in three (3) core subjects, including English, Mathematics (Core) and Social Studies or Integrated Science and three Elective Subjects including Elective Mathematics with a minimum of Grade C6.
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level Passes in three (3) subjects (at least, one of the passes should be Grade D or better). Also, the applicant must have had credit passes (Grade 6) in five GCE Ordinary Level subjects including English, Mathematics and a Science subject (for non-science students) and an Arts subject for Science students.
- Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) Passes in three (3) subjects (at least, one of the passes should be Grade D or better).Also, the applicant must have credit passes in five (5) subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science or Social Studies in General Business Examination (GBCE).
- be at least 25 years old
- show proof of age with birth certificate
- provide introductory letter from employer or show any other proof of employment
- pass the Mature Students’ Entrance Examinations conducted by the Dominion University. The examination covers English Language, Mathematics and an Aptitude Test. In lieu of this examination, the applicant should have proof of credit passes in English and Mathematics in any of the nationally recognized examinations (WAEC Examinations).
- Note: American SAT, TOEFL etc cannot in themselves be accepted as entry qualifications into a Ghanaian tertiary institutions.
- Note: Dominion University’s entry qualifications for HND are requirements, which follows the requirement of its Mentoring University.
- Entry into the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with professional certificates and any other qualifications beyond the ones specified above are treated on individual cases, where such certificates are referred to the National Accreditation Board for the establishment of their equivalences, to determine their eligibility for admission into the programme.
Our Bachelor of Arts in Pastoral Care & Counselling is a four (4) year degree programme.
For holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) in Pastoral Care & Conselling or any related course who wishes to top-up will pursue the BA Pastoral Care & Counselling for duration of two (2) years. Where the HND is in a different course, the duration of study will be three (3) years.
For holders of Ordinary Diploma (Diploma) in Pastoral Care & Counselling or any related course who wishes to top-up will pursue the BA Pastoral Care & Counselling for a duration of three (3) year
At Dominion, we ensure that our students are given first priority when it comes to job and placement. We give our students opportunity to impart the Dominion Community by creating temporal positions within the University. This allows our students to work while they study and have a feel of the world of work aside their off-campus internship programmes. it also allows them to gain valuable experiences and employability skills which makes them employers first choices.
The following are the some career opportunities that come along with studying BA Theology
- Rehabilitation Counselor.
- Recreational Therapist.
- Marriage & Family Therapist.
- Speech Therapist.
- School Counselor.
- Substance Abuse Counselor.
- Mental Health Counselor
- Spiritual Director
- Family Minister
- Church Administrator
- Outreach Minister
- Social Services work
- Prison Outreach
- Leadership/staff in a variety of nonprofit, missions, and ministry organizations
Fees & Duration
Connect with our socials
Do you have more questions?
Schedule a visit to our office
Spintex Road Post office box PMB 69 Cantonments, Accra
Congratulations on your decision. Click on the link below to apply. https://admissions.duc.edu.gh/apply/2/10
After you submit your application, You may contact an admissions representative on our whatsApp or call numbers +233201063633 or +233507777435 for any further inquiry on your application.
Once you’ve completed your application and connected with an admissions representative, you’re ready to create your schedule.